I have used several tools to do remote support and remote control session, bu my favorite still is DameWare.
DameWare was sold to SolarWinds (The biggest company in Network Management Tools) in 2011 and they changed some product names, like DameWare Utilities which is now DameWare Remote Support.
DameWare Mini Remote Control still has the same name, but has now extended features and supports also remote control for Mac and Linux systems.
The feature I love most about Mini Remote Control is that it can be remotely installed (if you have administrator rights).
You can also directly set the options like start as service, automatic, manual and stop the service after your sessions is done.
File Transfer and Chat Sessions
Once connected to your customer / user client machine you can do file transfers and hold a chat session directly from the Dameware Mini Remote Control console.
This options means that you don’t have to work with a remote Notepad document to “talk” to the user on the other end. And you don’t have to transfer files via remote explorer session to a c$ drive.
The file transfer is also faster then an explorer session.
Below are a list of Benefits and Features as mentioned on the DameWare product page.
The biggest benefit of all was that the product price is based on the number of IT Admin users and not on the number of clients, wich makes it a great choice for smaller companies as well.
DameWare Mini Remote Control Benefits
- Easy-to-install, easy-to-use and easy-to-maintain remote access software
- Easy to afford with licensing based on number of IT admin users rather than number of remote computers managed
- Validated by thousands of users and supported by SolarWinds!
DameWare Mini Remote Control Key Features
- Quickly and easily connect to and control remote desktops, laptops and servers
- Provides remote control for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux
- Deploy agents “on the fly” and start remote control sessions without rebooting
- Connect to unattended computers without the need for remote user interaction
- Easily configure and install agents in bulk with the included MSI package builder
- Complete security, including smart card authentication
If you are looking for tools to do also Active Directory management, then check out DameWare Remote Support.